Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A tale about.....Ash Wednesday

I am not Catholic, or Methodist, or Anglican, or any other religion that celebrates Ash Wednesday. I am, however, a Christian. Yet, I never knew what Ash Wednesday was......until today.

The girl announced to me yesterday that her calendar says that "tomorrow is Ash Wednesday." In my ignorance I asked her if she was on the correct  month. I assumed that it had something to do with Easter, so I decided that she has the wrong month since Easter is still too far away.

But this morning, she brings me her calendar and shows it to me. Sure enough- Ash Wednesday. I asked the husband, the fount of all wisdom at our house, what exactly it celebrated. The girl was all excited about a "holiday". I couldn't tell her what it was. The husband wasn't sure either.

So I looked it up....and understood every word. Told the husband, and made him "translate" it so the children could understand. (I'm not very good at simplifying explanations) The girl was a little less interested in the "holiday" then, and a little more interested in her video game. Funny.

But hey, we all learned something new at our house today.
And maybe I'll think of SOMETHING that I can give up for the next 40 days.....cause giving up food just isn't an option.

And also here is a little interesting tid bit of info:
In the Republic of Ireland, Ash Wednesday is National No Smoking Day. The date was chosen because quitting smoking ties in with giving up luxury for Lent. In the United Kingdom, No Smoking Day was held for the first time on Ash Wednesday 1984, but is now fixed as the second Wednesday in March.

1 comment:

  1. that's funny-- i was just explaining ash wednesday to ellie tonight, because we were watching the debate and there was a man in the audience with ash on his forehead. so, of course she was wondering why.

    ReplyDelete